[wplug] what do the x errors mean?

Kuzman Ganchev kuzman at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Wed Aug 13 00:57:25 EDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 06:51:25PM -0700, Elwin Green wrote:
> The debian install, continued:
> (yes it said it twice, then it said)
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc: /usr/bin/X11/X: No
> such file or directory

It looks like you don't have an X server installed. On my machine
(running woody):

kuzman at shuriken:~$ file /usr/bin/X11/X
/usr/bin/X11/X: setuid setgid ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386,
version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

what does

dpkg --get-selections | grep xserver

give? On my system it gives:

kuzman at shuriken:~$ dpkg --get-selections | grep xserver
xserver-common                                  install
xserver-common-v3                               install
xserver-svga                                    install
xserver-vga16                                   deinstall
xserver-xfree86                                 install

Kuzman

PS: the
xserver-vga16                                   deinstall
means that I had xserver-vga16 installed, and then removed it.