[wplug] Newbie Questions (Reason)

Anand Nimbalkar anandnimbalkar at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 12 15:04:18 EDT 2003

Hi,
Thanks a lot for the replies. Someone asked me to be more specific which I
think I should have been in the first post itself. Anyways the reason for
asking those ???
I am pretty close to getting my Oracle 9i DBA certification and from what I
heard it’s nice if a DBA has strong OS (I dont consider Microsoft as a
strong OS) Server knowledge. Traditionally Oracle DBA’s with Unix knowledge
have been preferred and now its Linux + Oracle. An enterprise version of
Oracle does not install on anything other than a Server. I keep reading
daily that XYZ moved to Linux + Oracle and saved $$$. I know that the basic
structure of Linux Kernel is the same and different companies are utilizing
it and building applications and features to make it a complete usable
operating system. I am interested in knowing which version of Linux are
companies using to work with Oracle.

A stupid question:
If Linux is free how come RedHat charges 30 + for desktop version  and 1000
+ for Server?
And if companies are saving $$$ can I conclude that it is actually reduction
in cost from may be 5000 that MicroSucks I mean SOFT charges to 1000 + that
Redhat does ?

Hope I made sense.

Thanks

Anand