[wplug] Syncing Palm to Website?

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Tue Aug 12 12:06:54 EDT 2003

Sometime in August Russ Schneider assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Ok, I'm asking this realizing how much of a babbling idiot I'll sound
| like, so here it goes...
|
| I'm want to create a website in PHP on a RedHat server running Apache.
| The website will have a calendar that stores it's info in a PostgreSQL
| database on the server.
|
| Now I've been asked to have functionality so that a person with a Palm
| Pilot can sync their Palm Pilot's calendar with the calender on this site.
|
| Is this possible?  If so, what do I need to do this with?  Is their a
| tutorial on line?  (I don't even know enough about this to know what to
| type into Google.)

if i were you i would try to avoid recreating the wheel if it's possible.

i don't know if there is something that will do this, but i've seen a lot
of php calendar stuff out there. if you cannot find something that will do
what you want, it would probably be easiest to find a php calendar program
and add the sync functionality to it. a good place to start would probably
have been phpgroupware:

http://www.gnu.org/directory/productivity/PIM/phpgroupware.html

but it appears as though their site has been hacked :(

this looks fairly active:
http://moregroupware.sourceforge.net/

perhaps you could add the palm syncing functionality to it.

there are all kinds of php calendar stuff over at sourceforge though:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/webcalendar/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/group-office/

i'm not really fond of sourceforges searching capabilities, so i normally
use google and tell it to restrict results to sites containing
'sourceforge.net'. so you can search for something like:

'php calendar site:sourceforge.net'

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E