[wplug] Newbie questions

bgtrio at yahoo.com bgtrio at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 11 15:49:16 EDT 2003

I thought I might just step back a bit and see if I can't get to the root
of Anand's question.

Anand seems to be under the impression that the linux market is neatly
segmented like the Windows market is- that is, he seems to think that
"Linux Server" is a product much like Windows 2000 Server Edition is a
discrete product.  It doesn't really work that way though- since no one
company controls linux, there is not a single naming scheme for the
vatious products that use linux as their kernel (usually called
"distributions" or "distros").

There are companies that sell special-purpose distributions that are meant
to fulfil a particular function out of the box, for instance Mandrake's
gaming edition and Redhat Enterprise Server.  But since linux is free to
modify as you see fit, there is no artificial distinction between server
and desktop as there is in the windows world.

Microsoft is famous for doing awful things like limiting the number of
incoming and outgoing connections to a computer to make sure you don't use
their desktop software in a server environment where they hope to sell you
their more expensive software.  Linux suffers from no such limitations; if
you want your desktop to be a server, install and configure some server
software and bang, it's a server.  Or better yet, just start the server
software that was included with the distribution you installed.

I'm not as familiar with other distributions, but with both debian and
redhat when you install their standard distributions, they ask you if you
want a desktop machine, a server, or a custom machine (among other
choices).  I did a redhat desktop installation yesterday, and did a custom
installation choosing "everything" - this included a printserver, two
databases, a windows file server, a mail server, a webserver, and nfs
server, and a bunch of other services I probably don't even know about.
Of course I'm not running all of them, but I could if I wanted to.

Bryguy

--
http://www.livejournal.com/~bryguypgh