[wplug] Newbie questions

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Mon Aug 11 09:27:58 EDT 2003

Sometime in August Anand Nimbalkar assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Hi,
| I am new to Linux and this group. I have a couple of basic questions.
| (1) If Linux Desktop = WIndows 98/2000/XP then what is Windows 2000/2003
| Server =  ???

hum.. depending on your purposes you can probably use a linux desktop as a
linux server.  at home i use linux as my desktop and run various servers on
the same machine without any problems.

| (2) Is Linux Server software also free ?

for the most part. there are free databases (posgresql, mysql, etc),
webservers (apache), ssh servers, ftp servers, etc. there are also
commercial versions of server software available. as a rule of thumb, most
services have a free and commercial versions. it's been my expirence that
the free stuff out there is more than adequate for my needs.

| (3) Are there any special hardware requirements to run Linux Server. I have
| a 600 Mhz machine which I wanna use for Linux Server installation. Will it
| suffice?

it depends. if you want to serve 20,000 web pages a second, then no. it
should however be able to serve the same stuff as well as windows running
on the same hardware.

| (4) Are there any good books that I can use to learn Linux Server.

check here for linux documentation:
http://www.tldp.org/guides.html

| I am heavily biased towards Linux Server. Linux Desktop doesnt interest me
| much. I would appreciate if someone can answer the above questions specific
| to Linux Server software

if you have more specific questions we can give more detailed answers. i.e.
what kind of server do you want to run? what expectations do you have for
this server? do you have any odd requirements?

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E