[wplug] non-RPM file scan

Brian S. Woolstrum woolstrum at cmu.edu
Sat Aug 9 16:03:47 EDT 2003

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003, Brian Sammon wrote:

> > There is something.
> >
> > I read an article (a year or two ago) about a package that keeps track
> > of files added by "make install" as well as RPM installs.
> >
> > I'll see if I can find it for you.
>
> It sounds like what you are talking about is a program which generates a
> database of files that you have installed.  RPM itself already does that;
> the database is in /var/lib/rpm/ somewhere.
> I'm just looking for programs that access the database in a user-friendly
> and efficient way.

CheckInstall is able to track files installed with "make
install", and after it is done it can automatically add
them to the package management databases of Slackware,
Debian or Redhat.  You are then able to remove the
installed software as though you had installed it from a
binary package built for your distro.