[wplug] What's Novell up to?

redtoade redtoade at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 7 17:38:00 EDT 2003

> If SCO loses, they're just another Linux vendor,
> which
> isn't neccessarily a bad thing to be (they already
> do
> a lot w/ Linux in their latest version Netware
> products, I believe).

SCO simply doesn't have the financial resources to
remain viable for THAT long.  I've read the rumors
about Microsoft funding them $250 million and what
not, but even so... you're talking a full court press
on IBM, defense strategies on every countersuit
brought about by every Linux company/organization that
received a "pay license" note (including big blue) and
then possible counter-counter suits, etc...

No way.  SCO knows they only have a few months to
live.  At this rate I'd be surprised if they're
forcasting keeping their doors open past the end of
the fiscal year.

Just for the sake of argument, let's say that the code
is directly taken from SCO's vaults.  (Which is an
IMMENSE assumption).  How does SCO plan on staying
afloat long enough to outlast the litigation?  There's
tons of companies that "went vapor" smack dab in the
middle of a juicy law suit even on the claimant's
side.

Although stranger things have happened (O.J. Simpson
is walking free), I would expect a huge stock dump in
the next few weeks rather than the LONG
suit/countersuit battles that could take YEARS.