[wplug] What's Novell up to?

Dave Neuer mr_fred_smoothie at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 7 17:03:34 EDT 2003

Well,

A while ago, after the whole SCO thing started, Novell
released a press release stating that SCO didn't in
fact receive copyright to the Sys V source code as
part of Novell & SCO's deal as SCO had claimed.

Then, w/ in the last week or so, I noticed a headline
that said that SCO had aquired the copyrights.

Now, perhaps Novell sold SCO the copyrights under the
terms that SCO would not be allowed to sue Novell for
copyright infringement; Novell could then be hedging
it's bets. They get whatever they could wring out of
SCO for the copyrights, and if SCO wins they're the
only vendor (or first out the gate) legally allowed to
distribute Linux.

If SCO loses, they're just another Linux vendor, which
isn't neccessarily a bad thing to be (they already do
a lot w/ Linux in their latest version Netware
products, I believe).

Just conjecture.

Dave

http://www.novell.com/news/press/archive/2003/08/pr03052.html