[wplug] humor break

Lance Tost ltost at pobox.com
Thu Aug 7 11:18:00 EDT 2003

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Russ Schneider wrote:
> If all you need to do is put a disclaimer on things, I might as well put
> a disclaimer on my car that says:
>
> "The driver of this vehicle is not responsible for any damage to person
> or property as a result of his direct or indirect actions.  Be advised
> that by sharing the same road space as him you wave all rights to
> collect financial damages for any and all results of any incident."

No, the difference is the companies are clearing themselves of any
responsibility for what an employee says.  I'm willing to bet the
individual employees can still be held responsible.  It's not really
feasible (or desirable) for a company to approve every outgoing email.

If the alternative to a long legalese disclaimer is that all of my
outgoing mail needs to be read and approved, I'll take the disclaimer.
Of course, all the personal mail I send while at work is sent from my home
machine via ssh and pine anyway, so it's a moot point for me.

--
Lance Tost <ltost at pobox.com>