[wplug] More SCO....

Teodorski, Chris cteodorski at ppg.com
Thu Aug 7 08:45:10 EDT 2003

Not sure if any of you are involved in the LDP, but there has been a rather spirited discussion taking place on the LDP mailing list on whether the LDP should sue SCO for trying to "re-license" LDP documents.....I think the ultimate answer is they can't sue, but it has been an interesting debate:

Excerpt from an e-mail from Tabatha Marshal Linux Documentation Project Review Coordinator:

On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 15:15, David Horton wrote:
> Wouldn't it go against the spirit of *free* documentation to exclude
> SCO?  I have no love for their recent tactics, but isn't *free*
> documentation for everyone to use?  To begin excluding certain groups
> just because we happen to disagree with them is a dangerous path to
> take.  Should we then put similar limits on free speech?  "You can say
> whatever you want until we disagree with you," is not really free
> speech.  Just as, "you can modify or copy this document until we
> disagree with you," is not really free documentation.

Well, David, normally you'd be right, except the way it looks, SCO appears to be trying to re-license documentation that already contains copyrights and licenses which do not condone re-licensing.  It appears as though SCO may be trying to copyright these as their property, subject to their terms, when there are already applicable copyrights and licenses.

And most importantly, there are authors who have not given SCO permission to do so.