[wplug] GRUB won't update MBR

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at cmu.edu
Sat Aug 9 06:47:57 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 05 August 2003 21:08, Alexandros Papadopoulos wrote:
<snip>
> It seems that the Adaptec controller I got is working on a Winmodem
> principal, replying on software to make it work... software that is
> only available for M$ products.
>
> I shouldn't even be seeing /dev/hde and /dev/hdg after "creating the
> array" in the controller's BIOS utility, but I am still seeing two
> separate disks. The quotes are there because obviously the hardware can
> do nothing on its own, and it relies on a M$-Win driver to mirror the
> data. After win-modems and win-printers, we're getting
> win-@&%#%@!!&-controllers...
>
> For the record, the controller is an Adaptec ATA RAID 1200A - two
> channels, RAID 0, 1, 0+1 and hot-spare capabilities. I'll officially
> ask Adaptec support tomorrow from work, and will let you know what
> happens.

It's official. This controller is not "supported under Linux", and Adaptec
support have to say that "It's not a matter of software/hardware controller,
it's just that this controller doesn't have drivers for Linux."

Am I wrong in feeling tricked here? Aren't hardware RAID controllers supposed
to completely hide the array from the OS?

-A
--
http://andrew.cmu.edu/~apapadop/pub_key.asc
3DAD 8435 DB52 F17B 640F  D78C 8260 0CC1 0B75 8265