[wplug] killing process that will not die

Kuzman Ganchev kuzman at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Wed Aug 6 18:09:39 EDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 11:00:23AM -0400, Alexandros Papadopoulos wrote:
> Theoretically I don't see why, but in practice I've had to do that some
> times. Perhaps the priority assigned to a kill signal is higher than
> anything, when sent by root, but is "queueable" when sent by a mortal.
> Speculating here, someone with firm knowledge of signals please shed some
> light. :-)

I don't think that three is a priority assigned to sigals based on the
user, but I might be wrong. If the process is in the middle of a
system call though, I think it runs in kernel space. This means that
there are no signals it can't ignore... I know this is the case for
kernel threads (a signal is just a flag that gets set, and the thread
has to be nice about listening).

Kuzman