[wplug] killing process that will not die

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Wed Aug 6 11:02:47 EDT 2003

Sometime in August Alexandros Papadopoulos assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| What did top/ps have to say of the process state? Could it be "D" (waiting
| for disk I/O), or have a child process that did (check with ps auxf).

i don't remember what the process state was. he needed to use mozilla for
mail, so i told him to reboot. i just wanted to know how to deal with this
for future reference. what would i do in the case where the process is
waiting for disk io?

| Otherwise, did he run kill -9 as root?

no we ran it as his user. i thought that would be enough since he owned the
process.

| Also, if he's running KDE, a very handy (and very brutal) kill -9 can be
| done with CTRL-ALT-ESC (and then clicking the window you want dead).

the window was already done, otherwise i would have tried xkill.

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E