[wplug] SCO's new license fee

Sean Parsons sean.parsons at verizon.net
Tue Aug 5 20:54:53 EDT 2003

SCO has just released a new single CPU license fee (a mere $699). I was a
little concerned and called their 800 number (1-800-726-8649). Their customer
service department should have still been opened but I could not get through,
so I left a voice mail stating the following:

"Hello, my name is Sean Parsons and I can be contacted at (412) ***-****.

I have several concerns over what exactly my single CPU license fee would be
covering. So far your complaints seem to center around SMP (which a single
CPU system gains nothing from), NUMA which a workstation isn't going to need,
and IBM's JFS when most people are using ext2 and ext3 (or in my case, I'm
running ReiserFS).

Could you please contact me to let me know what tainted code my workstations
might be running that your license covers?"

I said all of that without ever asking how they can charge license fees for
binary run times on code that they have already distributed under terms of
the GPL.

BTW, does anyone know how they can charge fees for something they have yet to
prove is their IP?

Isn't that considered extortion?

Regards,
Sean Parsons