[wplug] GRUB won't update MBR

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Tue Aug 5 20:48:29 EDT 2003

Alexandros Papadopoulos wrote:
> I installed a hardware ATA RAID 1 controller in a RH7.2 machine. After
> much trouble, I've managed to install GRUB on the MBR, but it insists
> on trying to boot /dev/hda1, while my current disks are /dev/hde and
> /dev/hdg. I thought that having the correct grub.conf and running
> grub-install /dev/hde was all it took, but it doesn't seem to be so
> easy.
>
> Right now I have to edit the boot options manually every time and
> change the root= clause to /dev/hde1. It then boots just fine.
>
> Anyone have any instructions for wiping out a MBR and installing the
> one I want?! grub-install is giving me "no corresponding BIOS drive"
> errors, and yeah, these drives are on a PCI controller.
Hmm.... are there BIOS settings to look to PCI add-in devices for boot
(first)?  Does the ATA RAID card offer the ability to "label" a boot drive?
I suspect the latter will be required.  I've dealt with add-in ATA RAID
cards but only at install and the installer did all the magic.  Like yours
they're always hde and hdg.

I don't think the issue has anything to do with/will be helped by blasting
the MBR on the device formerly known as hda - but if you want to:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda count=2
DO NOT add a number or you will be blasting a data partition.  You can get
to this by booting the first CD of the RH distro and either going into the
"rescue mode" (broken in 7.2, but likely functional for this exercise) or by
going far enough into the install process to get the bash shell on console
2.

Have you tried entering the grub shell and specifying to boot device and
then installing grub? (but grub-install should do the same stuff).

Don