[wplug] GRUB won't update MBR

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Aug 5 18:10:06 EDT 2003

Hi list.

I installed a hardware ATA RAID 1 controller in a RH7.2 machine. After
much trouble, I've managed to install GRUB on the MBR, but it insists on
trying to boot /dev/hda1, while my current disks are /dev/hde and
/dev/hdg. I thought that having the correct grub.conf and running
grub-install /dev/hde was all it took, but it doesn't seem to be so easy.

Right now I have to edit the boot options manually every time and change
the root= clause to /dev/hde1. It then boots just fine.

Anyone have any instructions for wiping out a MBR and installing the one I
want?! grub-install is giving me "no corresponding BIOS drive" errors, and
yeah, these drives are on a PCI controller.

I know I sound confusing, because I *am* confused! :-(

Thanks

-A