[wplug] Linux -Build Your Own?

Hagbard Celine hceline at softhome.net
Mon Aug 4 16:52:06 EDT 2003

I'll sort of second Duncan's reply (qv, Duncan Hutty), or perhaps more of a
sesqui...

I tried Linux From Scratch back in 1999.  It didn't work for me (I think that
Gerard was starting with a Debian distribution, and I was starting with
Slackware.  Ne'er the twain shall meet...), but I did learn enough about what
was required in a working Linux system that I was able to brew one by my own
recipe.  It was an excellent learning experience.

By searching the Net, I was able to find the software necessary to do the
things I need to do.  Bear in mind, however, that this was no mean task, nor
is it trivial to keep up-to-date.  If you have the time and the inclination,
I believe you may find it worthwhile.  By brewing your own system, you know
what you have, you know where it is, you know how it is configured.  You
know because you went and got it, you built and installed it, and you
configured it.  This is an excellent start to administering your system.  It
is also the route I took, and I have no regrets.

On the other hand, if you have a life, get out of the house, that sort of
thing, you may find it easier to go with a popular distribution and outsource
the system administration.  You pays your money, you takes your choice...

Hagbard