[wplug] RE: Swapping OS Drives follow-up

Gentgeen Squire gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Wed Apr 30 21:48:20 EDT 2003

I noted in my earlier post that I would post my GRUB config file, so here it is:

# -- BEGIN GRUB.CONF
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=20
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
# ------------------------------
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.9-34)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.9-34 ro root=/dev/hda5
        initrd /initrd-2.4.9-34.img
# ------------------------------
title Windoze 98se
        map (hd0) (hd1)
        map (hd1) (hd0)
        rootnoverify (hd1,0)
        makeactive
        chainloader +1
# -- END GRUB.CONF -------------

The important part is the 2 lines starting with map in the windoze section.  This tells the OS that hd0 is really hd1 and hd1 is really hd0.

MY EARLIER POST:

I would second the earlier post, about wiping the HDs clean and
starting again.  As for have WinDoze as the slave drive, you will
have to use GRUB, and configure it to switch the 2 drives.  I forget
the settting, but that is what I have at home.

The steps I used was:
  1) Attach small drive as the master, DO NOT attach the 2nd drive
and install Windoze to your satisfaction (sp)

  2) Switch drives, install the large drive as the master, and DO NOT
attach the 2nd drive.  Install Linux to your satisfaction.  Besure to
use GRUB as your install.

  3) Now leave the large drive alone and attach the small drive as
the slave (don't forget to change the jumper -- done that a couple
times)

  4) As of now, you will boot into Linux, without the Windows option
even showing up.  Once in Linux, configure GRUB.  Make sure to add
the part neccessary to switch drives, so that windows thinks that it
is the master.	(I will post later with correct setting, or if you
are in a hurry, try GOOGLE)

  I know that the installing and then removeing the drives over and
over is a little tedius (sp), but that way I know that one OS would
not mess with the other OS.

 Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem
 your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone then in bad
 company.        - George Washington, Rules of Civility