[wplug] Clock running very slow

Bob Schmertz rschmertz at speakeasy.net
Wed Apr 30 10:58:50 EDT 2003

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Procario, Michael wrote:

>I read man hwclock and it said that the hardware clock keeps time while the
>system is off. The system keeps time while it is on. It even said that the
>hardware clock is less accurate than the system and you can use the system
>time to adjust the hardware clock. That seems to be the opposite of my
>problem, since I have been running this box for 24/7 for two weeks now.
>
>BTW the way my estimate was off on how slow it was running. I reset the
>clock at 8:00 PM last night. I had a cron job set up to run fetchmail at
>4:00 AM. It actually ran at 8:12 AM, four hours lost in a 12 hour span.

Four hours?  That just happens to be our current offset from GMT.  Are
you positive you didn't make a mistake regarding that?  Make sure you
are using the same measurement before and after (e.g., type 'date' at
8:00 P.M., then do it again as the same user in the same environment at
8 A.M.

>Mike

Cheers,
Bob Schmertz