[wplug] Clock running very slow

Tim Lesher tim at lesher.ws
Wed Apr 30 07:34:46 EDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 10:19:33PM -0400, Mike Procario wrote:

> I just converted an old K6-300 machine to linux (RH 7.3). The clock seems to be
> running very slow.

>From a hardware point of view, you probably have a dying CMOS battery
(although in my experience, that usually causes the clock to gain time
rather than lose it).

In any event, you should install an NTP (Network Time Protocol)
client, which will periodically sync up with a known-good clock (like
NIST's atomic clock server).  Redhat includes one... check for the ntp
RPM.

If you're losing time that quickly, for now set your ntp period low
(like 2 minutes or so).  When you get your battery fixed, drop it back
down to every 24 hours.

--
Tim Lesher <tim at lesher.ws>
http://www.lesher.ws