[wplug] OpenOffice to the rescue again

R.E.Coutch vze57qmg at verizon.net
Tue Apr 29 22:50:43 EDT 2003

I've contibuted more than my 2 cents tonight ( I'm up to about a buck
25) but I have to say that
I'm real happy with OpenOffice.org1.0.

I put together a PDF format tech manual at work using OO Writer and
ghostview to do it.
The boss couldn't believe I spent no money on software.

I often open Word and Excel files with OO and have experienced only some
formatting problems with Word doc's on occasion.

I do a lot of work with databases so I've got StarOffice 5.2 on my RH
7.2 machine at work.
I use unix-ODBC to  access my postgresql server (same RH machine) with
Star Office (and sometimes I use pgaccess).
I'm not as comfotable accessing databases in OpenOffice and it doesn't
seem to have the same capabilities as StarOffice.

Star Office 6 is a commercial program for around $50-$75 and is much
more worth the cost than MS-Office (IMHO).