[wplug] Alsa revisited

R.E.Coutch vze57qmg at verizon.net
Tue Apr 29 22:27:02 EDT 2003

Better - YES!   Easier - Not to config!

I have it running on my RH8 installation with a Yamaha sound card but I
got the
modules.conf setup from my SuSE 7.3 partition.

SuSE comes with ALSA as the default sound system and the configuration
program works great.

I could not get alsa-config to work on the RH8 partition.
Alsa installed just fine using the freshrpms .rpm files.

The issue is moot for me now because SuSE 8.2 is on the shelves and I've
already tried the Live CD preview.

It's evrything I'm looking for in an updated Linux distro.

If you're a multimedia freak / gamer / musician like me, you might want
to take a peek for yourself.
You'll get a more descriptive email after I get to CompUSA to pick up a
box 'o Linux and have had a little time to play with it.

-Bob

BTW - This month's issue of Linux Journal took a look at the new Kernel
2.6 as well as ALSA, Reiser4 and Kernel Mode Linux .