[wplug] Laptop Criteria

Keir Josephson kjoseph at stargate.net
Tue Apr 29 20:25:14 EDT 2003

Good question. I'm also looking for a laptop that would be good with
linux. It's been hard to find any decent reviews comparing the newer
laptops and how they perform with linux. No doubt this is partly to do to
redmond's new oem licensing strings that puts the screws to any PC maker
that might try to offer linux as an alternative.

At any rate, I've also had good luck with past Toshiba Satellites. I've
also had really good luck with compaq EVO's with both SUSE and Red Hat.

Has anyone heard anything about the new Inspiron notebooks that were just
released? Namely the 1100 or 600m? You can find a refurbished 1100 on
Dell's site for less than 800 bucks, well equipped. Less than 700 if you
check frequently and buy your time.

-Keir