[wplug] umask

Bryce Lynch bryce at telerama.lm.com
Tue Apr 29 17:28:27 EDT 2003

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Chris wrote:

> Now being that I am still new to Linux, I am not familiar with this.  The
> will change the permissions, right?  If I am running as root, why would I
> need to do this?

Yes, you would, though you have to run the configure script as a non-root
user (file: INSTALL, included with Courier-IMAP v1.5.3).  You do this with
the umask command:

	umask 022

It sets the permissions of the files you create to 755 (owner: all, group:
read/execute, everyone else: read/execute) by default.  You may not have
to do this, though.  If you execute the umask command by itself it'll tell
you what the file mask of your current shell is.

--
Information security begins with _you_.  Help combat terrorism by encrypting
your communications!  Public key : http://users.telerama.com/~bryce/gpg.key