[wplug] Alsa revisited

Bill bhalpin at collaborativefusion.com
Tue Apr 29 14:11:33 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 13:57, Vanco, Donald wrote:
> Bill wrote:
> > Anyone using alsa with an es1371 card in RH8?
> 	I know it's not what you want to hear - but why are you using ALSA?
> I had a laptop that used the es1371 chipset and it functioned fine under
> RH8.0 - are you having issues, or is there something in ALSA you're after?

When I originally installed 7.1 on this box, the card worked fine.  When
I moved to 7.3 I had to hand massage my config to get my card working
again, and it was a pain.  From 7.3, I moved to 8 and of course it
killed my sound again.  I've heard so much about how ALSA is like the
end-all-be-all of sound for linux, how easy it is to configure, etc,
that I decided to stop mucking around with esd.

> 	You're modules.conf seems pretty "chatty" - but I've not loaded ALSA
> on a system in a long time..... not sure but what's with the snd-card-0 and
> snd-card-1??

Agreed, this isnt simple, and its not well explained.  Seems like an
aweful lot of config to get a single sound card running but I'm sure no
expert. :)

Or is this how it handles MIDI??

I believe this to be true.  It was certainly my understanding.

> If I were to take a stab at
> it's say comment out those modules that seem to be failing and see if you
> can just get plain old audio - worry about midi and all that later....

Sounds like a reasonable suggestion to me.

> 	Is there a reason you're not running with the RPMs from
> http://psyche.freshrpms.net/ - or is that what's giving you grief?

These are the psyche versions off freshrpms...