OT - Abit (was: RE: [wplug] Laptop and DHCP)

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Tue Apr 29 08:36:53 EDT 2003

Steve Snodgrass wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 10:53:45AM -0400, Vanco, Donald wrote:
>> 	...crashmaster is my Abit based system.  If you own an Abit MoBo you
>> know exactly why it's so named.....
>
> Strange, I've owned many Abit boards over the last several years, and
> I've generally found them to be rock solid.  I'm writing this message
> from one.  I must admit that my current one has some issues under
> Linux, but that has more to do with the nForce chipset and Highpoint
> HPT372 controller than Abit.
	I currently own 3 - a BP6 and 2 VP6s.  All are chinks of crap - if
you've a working system count your lucky stars.
	Abit does not rev the HPT firmware along with the BIOS - it's from
like 1999.  I had to result to a hacked BIOS from vp6.com to even get some
operating systems to load.
	I've had one board flame out a thermal sensor and take the CPU with
it.
	I've had a second board lose it's second CPU.
	There are know  issues with the onboard chipset and nVidia knock off
cards.

	These things were both such pieces of garbage that Abit pulled ALL
support for them.  I had 3 RMAs myself before they told me they weren't
going to fix them anymore.  As stated in another post, Abit was one of the
first mfgrs. to suffer from the "cheap capacitor" issue that plagued many
boards circa 2001.

	You need an astrological start chart to map the dependencies of the
PCI slots (some so poorly managed that inserting ANY card means sure death)
- these boards offer like 2 available interrupts regardless of what the docs
or BIOS say, and every BIOS implementation that was supposed to allow
altering IRQ allocation failed to function as advertised.

	All in all my Abit boards ate 2 CPUs and 2 DIMMs - I'm guessing I
blew $1000.00 and 6 months of my life on all this crap.

	Their single CPU boards might be different, but their dual CPU
systems are absolute crap.	Linux would barely run for a day - Win2k
would lock up almost instantly.  I've been so badly burned that someone
could offer me a new Abit board and I'd refuse it.  I've been building
PeeCees since the late 80's (I work for the 3rd largest computer VAR in the
world), and Abit was, by far, one of (if not) the poorest WRT quality /
function I've ever seen.

	I bought these boards with dreams of overclocking - never got a
system stable long enough to even consider it.  I've since been buying Dells
and have not looked back.  While I really liked piecing systems together, I
find that I really enjoy actually /using them/ much more.......

My $.02
Don