[wplug] ftp server setup - okay, maybe not...

Elwin Green bekitemba2002 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 29 01:17:31 EDT 2003

--- Matthew Danish <mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 08:33:38PM -0700, Elwin
> Green wrote:
> > Get: 1 http://us.debian.org stable/main Sources
>
> Never heard of us.debian.org
> Maybe http.us.debian.org ? - etc.

Oops; a typo. Anyway, I took another look at
etc/apt/sources.list and incorporated your
suggestions, and reran 'apt-get update' when it looked
like this:

# See sources.list(5) for more information, especialy
# Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file
URIs
# CDROMs are managed through the apt-cdrom tool.
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main
contrib non-free
#deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US
stable/non-US main contrib non-free
#Replace the above with:
deb http://non-us.debian.org/ stable/non-US main
contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main
contrib non-free

# Uncomment if you want the apt-get source function to
work
#deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main
contrib non-free
#deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable
non-US

This time the update reported no errors. Then I did:

# apt-get install apache

and got this:

Reading Package Lists...Done
Building Dependency Trees...Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean
that you have requested an impossible situation or if
you are using the unstable distribution that some
required packages have not yet been created or have
been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is
extremely likely that the package is simply not
installable and a bug report against that package
should be filed.
The following information may help to resolve the
situation:

Sorry, but the following packages have unmet
dependencies:
apache: Depends: logrotate (>= 3.5.4-1) but it is not
going to be installed.
E: Sorry, broken packages.

*Now* what?

Frustrated but determined,