[wplug] ftp server setup - okay, maybe not...

Elwin Green bekitemba2002 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 28 22:44:48 EDT 2003

--- Matthew Danish <mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 11:32:54PM -0700, Elwin Green
>wrote:
>> 1) no-can-do apt-get:
>> I said:
>> #apt-get install (packagename)
>>
>> My system replied:
>> Reading Package Lists...Done
>> Building Dependency Tree...Done
>> E: Couldn't find package (packagename)
>>
>> It is, at least, being perfectly consistent. Same
>> result each time.

>That's a mistake on my part, I forgot to mention that
>you need to run `apt-get update' every so often to
>fetch package listings.

Thanks. I did:
# apt-get update

And my machine seemed to download (install?) a bunch
of stuff (okay, I wrote down the
output...somewhere...). But when I went back to

# apt-get install (packagename)

I still got the "Couldn't find package (packagename)
error.

Also, the system is still not bringing up the
interface card at boot, despite having the line "auto
eth0" in etc/network/interfaces.

Any other suggestions? Anyone?

Persisting in the belief that "if they can do it, so
can I",

E.