[wplug] powernotebooks.com

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Mon Apr 28 15:50:24 EDT 2003

Sometime in April James O'Kane assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Vanco, Donald wrote:
| > 	While I did not look at these notebooks / this site in particular,
| > there are literally only about 4 notebook manufacturers out there (in
| > Taiwan) and they design reference models for pretty much everybody.  What I
| > found is that the current strain of laptops were, in fact, WinPuters.  The
| > new slew of chipsets from VIA rely on the OS (in this case - WinXP) to
| > really make them work, and Linux was NOT a candidate for them.  The more
| > intelligent sites I looked at told you specifically that these are "new
| > technology" notebooks that require a Microsoft OS.  There are several on
| > eBay that say that too.....
|
| Do you still have this list of urls handy? I'm interested in reading the
| more techinical details, and other might as well.

i would like these also.

| > 	Likewise, while Centino development work is progressing, it's not
| > prime-time for Linux by any means.
|

| Is the Centino the CPU that includes 802.11b? what was the point of that?

http://www.powernotebooks.com/centrino.php

basically it has to have a pentium mobile processor, intel 855 chipset and
and an intel pro/wireless 2100 (802.11b) network capabilities. i guess
donald is talking about the 855 chipset support and probably power
management stuff?

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 "Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of
  the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to
  drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship,
  or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the
  people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is
  easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and
  denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country
  to greater danger."
  -- Herman Goering
     as related to Gustave Gilbert at the Nuremberg trials,