[wplug] Linux on the Desktop

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at cmu.edu
Mon Apr 28 12:24:02 EDT 2003

On Monday 28 April 2003 10:42, John Harrold wrote:
> Sometime in April Alexandros Papadopoulos assaulted the keyboard and
> produced:

> | > What?  Why would they do that?  After all, what other mail program
> | > would a person *want* to use on their desktop Unix box? :)  (Surely
> | > you're not suggesting a person would pollute their Unix box with some
> | > horrid graphical MUA...)
> |
> | Okay, I'll bite! :-)
> | http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~apapadop/linux/images/kmail_attach.png
> |
> | Beautiful, fast, reliable, easy to use, with most (all?) features of Mutt
> | by now.
>
> hey alex,
>
> while it looks nice, it would be hard for me to run it over a modem
> connection while visiting my family.

true - it *is* full of GUI fluff after all :-)

> i honestly don't know many of the
> features that kmail has, but to say it most  most (all?) of mutts features
> is quite a statement:
>
> http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/manual-3.html
> http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/manual-4.html

Let me take a more conservative stand on this: KMail has most/all of Mutt's
features that make sense to a humanoid. Considering that 99% of Internet
users don't even bother setting up encryption, I'd say it's safe to assume
that Mutt's advanced features are for an even smaller portion of the
population. But yes, Mutt does have more features, and there *is* one major
thing that is still broken in KMail (IMAP folder filtering).

> i guess the most important question is can i set kmail up so that vim is my
> default editor :).

Well, it does have an "use external editor instead of composer" feature, but I
couldn't get it to behave in the 10' I devoted. But as you made clear, your
needs are different anyway.

I'm basically promoting KMail as the best GUI MUA for users that are
converting from M$ - Mutt is still the best for hardcore situations :-)

-A
--
http://andrew.cmu.edu/~apapadop/pub_key.asc
3DAD 8435 DB52 F17B 640F  D78C 8260 0CC1 0B75 8265