[wplug] Laptop and DHCP

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Mon Apr 28 10:53:45 EDT 2003

Tim Lesher wrote:
> I have a laptop that I use to connect to LANs at both work and at
> home, using either a wireless or wired connection (depends on the
> phase of moon).  My machine name isn't in th DNS at either place, so
> when I start Gnome, it complains that it can't find look up its
> internet address.  I used to solve this by hardcoding the address in
> /etc/hosts, but now I'm using DHCP everywhere, so that's not an
> option.
>
> Is there a simple solution for this?
If your machine does not get it's hostname via DHCP you can add it as an
alias to the loopback (localhost) address in /etc/hosts and you'll be fine
e.g.:
127.0.0.1       crashmaster	localhost       localhost.localdomain

	...crashmaster is my Abit based system.  If you own an Abit MoBo you
know exactly why it's so named.....
Don