[wplug] Linux on the Desktop

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Mon Apr 28 10:42:19 EDT 2003

Sometime in April Alexandros Papadopoulos assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| > > When I see mutt, I assume that the sender is using a shell account on a
| > > remote server, which doesn't tell much about the desktop OS he's using.
| >
| > What?  Why would they do that?  After all, what other mail program
| > would a person *want* to use on their desktop Unix box? :)  (Surely
| > you're not suggesting a person would pollute their Unix box with some
| > horrid graphical MUA...)
|
| Okay, I'll bite! :-)
| http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~apapadop/linux/images/kmail_attach.png
|
| Beautiful, fast, reliable, easy to use, with most (all?) features of Mutt by
| now.

hey alex,

while it looks nice, it would be hard for me to run it over a modem
connection while visiting my family. i honestly don't know many of the
features that kmail has, but to say it most  most (all?) of mutts features
is quite a statement:

http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/manual-3.html
http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/manual-4.html

i guess the most important question is can i set kmail up so that vim is my
default editor :).

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail    the
 most useful idiot               | / \
 "Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of
 the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to
 drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or
 a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people
 can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you
 have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the
 pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater
 danger." -- Herman Goering as related to Gustave Gilbert at the Nuremberg
 trials,
 gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E