OpenOffice efficacy - Originally Re: [wplug] Win4Lin Qs

Paul G Cantalupo lupey+ at pitt.edu
Mon Apr 28 09:27:16 EDT 2003

> John Harrold wrote:
>
> > we use vmware here at the office, and it's not too shabby. my roommate uses
> > win4lin and it seems faster than vmware. i mainly use it to get data from
> > excel sheets that people send to me and to test out changes in the samba
> > configuration on our server. i personally think vmware is a bit pricey.
>
> I don't know if you have a specific reason why you don't/can't use it,
> but I use OpenOffice to open and use Excel files.  Has worked flawlessly
> for me.
>
> --
> ___________________________________
> Russ Schneider (a.k.a. Sugapablo)
> http://www.sugapablo.com

Russ and anybody else,

I'm finding it difficult to work with Excel spreadsheets in apps like
Gnumeric (1.1.16) and Kspread (koffice1.2.1). They make the spreadsheets
look terrible. Many times, the graphics are jumbled or the formulas don't
work.

So, before I dive into OpenOffice, can you tell me the types of
Excel files that you work with in OpenOffice and really, how well does it
exactly preserve the original spreadsheet? Is there any tweaking involved
on your part? Anybody else want to weigh in on this?

Thank you,

Paul