[wplug] Win98/Linux data sharing

Paul G Cantalupo lupey+ at pitt.edu
Sat Apr 26 16:49:56 EDT 2003

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003, Elwin Green wrote:

> "Set the umask (the bitmask of the permissions that
> are not present). The default is the umask of the
> current process. The value is given in octal."

For example, a umask of 022 means that the write bit for group and world
are 'not present'. Remember that octal of 4 stands for read, 2 for write
and 1 for execute. So by specifying 022, you deny the group and world the
permission to write.

> How do I use umask?

Decide what permissions you want to allow on the VFAT partition. Then
apply the appropriate umask in your fstab file. My fstab looks like this:

/dev/hda1  /dosc  vfat  defaults,umask=022,uid=lupey  1   0

In doing so, the USER of /dosc (lupey) can read, write and execute but the
group and world can only read/execute. FYI, the long listing of /dosc
looks like this (notice user=lupey as specified in fstab)

drwxr-xr-x   24 lupey    root         4096 Dec 31  1969 dosc/

I hope I accurately explained this as I am still learning the ins and outs
of Linux.

Paul