[wplug] ftp server setup - okay, maybe not...

Eric C. Cooper ecc at cmu.edu
Sat Apr 26 14:03:17 EDT 2003

On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 10:23:20AM -0700, Elwin Green wrote:

> Thank you - mount /floppy worked; mount /cdrom raised a *new* issue:
> mount: special device /dev/cdrom does not exist.
>
> So I cd'd to /dev, and sure enough, "cdrom" ain't there. Shouldn't
> that have been created automatically?How would I create it now?

You need to make a symbolic link to the real device:
    cd /dev
    ln -s DEVICE cdrom

To find which is the real device, check the startup messages (using
"dmesg") for a line that identifies your CD drive.  For example, on my
system it says:

    hdc: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1502, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

so I would do "ln -s hdc cdrom" in the /dev directory.

--
Eric C. Cooper          e c c @ c m u . e d u