[wplug] Win98/Linux data sharing

Elwin Green bekitemba2002 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 26 12:15:54 EDT 2003

Thanks. I didn't see anything in my primary reference
book (800+ pages) about chown...

The partition I want to use for data sharing is named
DOS_hdb7. My user name is elwin, and I've placed
myself in the group mgr (for manager). Logged in as
root, I did this:

# chown elwin:mgr /mnt/DOS_hdb7

I got this:

chown: changing ownership of '/mnt/DOS_hdb7':
Operation not permitted.

Then I thought, if could at least change the group, I
might not have change owners. So I did this as root:

# chgrp mgr /mnt/DOS_hdb7

and I got this:

chgrp: changing group of '/mnt/DOS_hdb7': Operation
not permitted.

That's all.

AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!! I thought root could do
everything!?!

It seems to me that this ought to be simple, that I
must be missing something. If I can't do this one
little thing *as root*, then for me all the Linux hype
about being able to really control my system goes
right out the window. I *must* be missing something-
but what? WHAT???

AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!

HELP?????