[wplug] Which Red Hat version is best? UPDATE

Sal Mangiapane salm at servanttechnology.com
Fri Apr 25 21:54:24 EDT 2003

Hi all,

Thanks for the help.

I got up2date working.  I changed the Python script to read netdict['ipaddr'] = "192.168.1.3" (it worked).  But the version of gcc I
wanted was not part of my distribution which is version 7.

Well, I had two updated libraries (png 1.2.5 and zlib 1.1.14) that I was using and everything worked after the up2date.  But, then I
downloaded the gcc rpm.  Well, somehow I now compile with png 1.2.5 but I execute at png 1.0.9 and my program won't run.  I guess I
could do a static compile, but I'm not sure how.

Here is my plan.  Download Gentoo and install it (I have one other computer available :) ).  Aren't old computers and Linux
wonderful.  Gentoo has the png and zlib I want and the latest gcc.  So I should be set.  What I can't understand is how can Gentoo
be a complete Linux setup with only 1 214MB CD.  (I'm joking of course)  When Red Hat has 5 600MB CDs in it's distribution.  Why is
there such a hugh difference?  If I wanted to only use one distro (Gentoo) would I be missing something?  Like Apache or sendmail
(or qmail) or ???

Is Red Hat taking a page from Microsoft?  I mean with the size of the install.

I never heard of Gentoo before.  But, based upon their website (now this is very sound research :) ) it seems like a no-nonsense get
the work done distro.  It seems like they keep up to date with the packages that are included and using the RedHat example with
Gentoo it seems that I could have upgraded from version 7 to version 8 or even 9.

Thanks again for the help.  I enjoy the rants (especially about security) and I'm learning about Linux too.

I should have Gentoo up and running by the beginning of the week.

Thanks and God bless,

sal

Sal Mangiapane