[wplug] directcd packet writing for Linux

Bill bhalpin at collaborativefusion.com
Fri Apr 25 08:33:32 EDT 2003

I've only had a burner under linux for a few months and I've only done
minor experimentation so I'm not claiming this to be 100% accurate.

I have used cdrecord to burn cd-rw's which were readable by DirectCD on
a Win2K box.  I did this when I first got the burner and havent had the
need to do anything further so I havent.  As I remember, burning a cd-rw
is no different than burning a cd-r under linux, except you can go back
and blank an rw.  Of course there is a caveat which D.Vanco pointed out,
and that is your system must support UDF.

As far as reading a cd-rw, its just a matter of mounting the disk:

mount -t udf /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

Now if your question was more directed at finding a 'drag & drop' linux
analog (as opposed to simply knowing how to access/create cd-rw's under
linux), there currently isnt anything available that I've found.  You
may want to look at:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-udf

This project offers some 'tools' which i havent explored yet.  There
might be something there.

This was pretty cursory, if you want to do research yourself just search
for 'udf linux'.

-b