[wplug] ftp server setup

Matthew Danish mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Apr 25 00:15:13 EDT 2003

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 09:00:42PM -0700, Elwin Green wrote:
> I want to set up one of the computers in my home network as an ftp
> server so that I can upload files from my laptop when I'm on the road.
> All of the documentation that I've found about ftp concerns the
> *client*, not the server. Can anyone point me to a source that would
> give the info I need to set up a server?

apt-cache search ftp server
apt-get install <choice>

Some popular ones are muddleftpd, proftpd, lukemftpd, ...

I've been using muddle for a while successfully.  There's a bunch of
docs and sample configuration files in the /usr/share/doc/muddleftpd
directory (just like with any Debian package).

More docs: http://www.debian.org/doc/

> If it matters, this particular machine is running "Debian GNU/Linux
> 2.2" (woody? potato? how can you tell? And where do they get those
> names from, anyway?)

2.2 is "potato" but Debian people almost never use the version number
when talking about the releases anyway.  The names come from Toy Story
characters, apparently because certain Debian folks were heavily
involved with Pixar at the time...

Current stable is 3.0 "woody" so it might be worthwhile to do an
upgrade.  This probably involves ensuring that /etc/apt/sources.list has
references to the "stable" distribution rather than "potato" and
running: apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade -uf, unless your machine
is fubared in some particularly strange fashion (because you didn't know
about the package system?).

--
; Matthew Danish <mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu>
; Signed or encrypted mail welcome.