[wplug] Gentoo non-requirements (was Which Red Hat version is best?)

Bob Schmertz rschmertz at speakeasy.net
Wed Apr 23 16:36:51 EDT 2003

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Vanco, Donald wrote:

>	If you really only do command line stuff consider Gentoo.  I just
>loaded it on a new 2.4GHz laptop (I know - kind of a waste) and it's the
>fastest Linux system I've ever worked on.  Power on to log in in like 6
>seconds (Dell has a "quick" BIOS option).  It's been quite the learning
>experience, but very, very slick stuff.  Nano is the default editor tho
>(blech) - you'll have to install vi.

No, you don't.  I've managed to run Gentoo on my iBook for almost six
months without installing vi.  That's one of the things I do like about
Gentoo :)

> Have not done much compilation outside
>of custom kernel(s) - but that went as expected.

Everything on Gentoo is compiled locally, unless you specify otherwise.
What do you mean by "have not done much compilation outside of kernels"?

--
Cheers,
Bob Schmertz
rschmertz at speakeasy.net