[wplug] Which Red Hat version is best?

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Wed Apr 23 14:07:40 EDT 2003

Sal Mangiapane wrote:
> I never upgraded before.  Do I just download the rpm and then what?
Log on to :
https://rhn.redhat.com/
..and create a user account

	You will get one "demo" account entitlement by default.  Adding more
than one system profile to this account will require that you "bounce" that
entitlement from system to system

Hop onto your Linux box and run:
rhn_register --nox
	...you will be asked for information about the method you want to
use to update the system, a system profile name, etc
Once that completes run:
up2date --configure (I do not think you'll need --nox here, but you may)
	......while you may not have to change any settings here, it's good
to know what they are.  Of note - you can set up2date to merely download the
updates and NOT install them.  Once the tool itself is updated you will see
options for backing out installs, etc.  I generally do not install
automatically, or a t a minimum set it to NOT delete updates after the
install (which is the default value)

finally - run:
up2date -fu
	...this will _f_orce and _u_pdate of all packages - including those
in your "skip list" which will, by default, include the kernel stuff.
Alternately, leave off the "f" and do the kernels by hand.

Note:
You can also install ANY package (and it's dependencies) with:
up2date <package_name>

Note:
You can also update a system with good old RPM:
rpm -Fvh <point_to_the_update_mirror_of_your_choice>
	...where the mirror can be http, ftp, or NFS based.
	"F" = Freshen, "v" = verbose, "h" = print hash marks for progress
	using "U" in place of "F" will Upgrade if present and INSTALL if not
currently present - so use with caution!!

Good luck -
Don