[wplug] Which Red Hat version is best?

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Wed Apr 23 13:54:48 EDT 2003

Sal Mangiapane wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am currently running Red Hat 7.2 and I want to upgrade.
> Should I upgrade to 7.3, 8, or 9?
>
> All I really need are an updated gcc and vi.  I exclusively
> use SSH and command line interfaces.  But, I want to stay current
> without getting bleeding edge.

	I'd agree with Mike that 7.3 is stable, but not necessarily that 9
is "experimental".  There are lots of reasons to go to 9 - but do you meet
any of them?  Sounds like no.  If you're a command line guy, just update
your current system and go from there.....  The only reasons to go to 8.0/9
(IMHO) would be an application requirement that drives you there.
	If you really only do command line stuff consider Gentoo.  I just
loaded it on a new 2.4GHz laptop (I know - kind of a waste) and it's the
fastest Linux system I've ever worked on.  Power on to log in in like 6
seconds (Dell has a "quick" BIOS option).  It's been quite the learning
experience, but very, very slick stuff.  Nano is the default editor tho
(blech) - you'll have to install vi.  Have not done much compilation outside
of custom kernel(s) - but that went as expected.

My $.02
Don