[wplug] Blind Linux

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Tue Apr 22 13:35:06 EDT 2003

Ben Beige wrote:
> Hello Folks,
> 	I'm looking to set up a system for my younger sister (almost 13) who
> happens to be blind. I want to use Linux, since it will be much
> easier for her than windows in the long run.  I've hear of the BLinux
> project and tried to look into it, it seems to rely on emacspeaks
> (emacs w/ voice synth) but I'm not entirely sure on where to begin,
> for the most part she's want to IM (bonim is a console based AIM
> client I believe) email, and do home work(well likely use emacs if
> emacspeaks is her voice program), and surf the web (lynx/links). I
> just don't really know where to start w/ setting this all up, what
> distro is the most user friendly for this and was wondering if anyone
> had input/experience w/ this.
	Sorry - no direct experience - but you did say that you've seen
http://leb.net/blinux/??  There appears to be an active users group and a
docs section - was that of any assistance?  There's long been an iteration
of IBM's (?) Dragon speech stuff for Linux....

This actually turned up a number of interesting looking links:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=linux+for+the+blind

Cheers -
Don