[wplug] bootdiskless upgrade

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Mon Apr 21 08:23:06 EDT 2003

Jonathan S. Billings wrote:
> On Sunday, April 20, 2003, at 09:38  PM, James O'Kane wrote:
>>
>>> <snippage>
>>> 	Actually, if you use the pxelinux/islolinux stuff (instead of
>>> merely the floppy image) you'll have every available driver there
>>> is in RHL.
>>
>> That's too easy :)
>> Does the pxelinux part require a tftp server and an ethernet card
>> with a bootprom? I don't think this ethernet card supports that.
>>
>> -james
>
> I've been happy to notice that most of the current 3com and Intel
> ethernet cards support PXE booting.  We use PXE for our redhat
> installs, and it makes life very easy.  It does require running a TFTP
> server, though.
	We've been using xCAT here - and it recommends use of atftp
(http://packages.debian.org/unstable/net/atftp.html) as opposed to the stock
RH stuff.  Apparently, there was a change in the RFP (or multiples) and the
default RH TFTP server does not support packets above 512 - which can make
things load really, really slow if you have a large boot image.

YMMV
Don