[wplug] APM

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Fri Apr 18 10:23:51 EDT 2003

Jay wrote:
> I recently installed apmd.  My computer is connected to the internet
> through DSL.  I can not get apm to work. I receive the message " apm:
> suspend was vetoed" Is this due to network activity or is there
> something else that I need to check.
	Could possibly depend in how APM is configured in your kernel.
Here's an example from a RH 9.0 kernel .config file:

[root at DL320 configs]# grep APM kernel-2.4.20-i686.config
CONFIG_APM=y
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
# CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE is not set
CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
# CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=y
# CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set
# CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set

	You can see that APM is set on, but also note there is an option to
ignore user suspend.  There are several other options that may or may not
work, depending on the PC BIOS capability in question.  CPU_IDLE is a useful
option when overclocking or just generally wanting a cooler running CPU.  It
provides a similar function to "Rain" under Windoze.

	Under Red Hat there is also the concept of the
/etc/sysconfig/apm-scripts directory - but that's more for interaction as
opposed to determining actual functionality - that's all kernel and BIOS.
	See also man8 and /usr/share/doc/apmd-x.x.x (3.0.2 on RH 8.0)

HTH
Don