[wplug] Help with planning of YOUTH Technology Summit

Edward C. Smith esmith at tranzor.net
Fri Apr 18 10:14:02 EDT 2003

Saw this message a day late, but I see there are more things coming up.
Anyway, just let let people know if I miss anything else that I've been
working on a Youth Mentoring Software package. It's all based on Open
Source Technologies (perl, MySQL and Apache). The software is free but
there is an application fee for the provider (mentor.org) to make sure
that the requesting organization is qualified to set it up.

This might be a helpful little tool for this to allow Professionals to use
e-mentoring to help Youth (HS students) in preparing for a technical
carrer. The product is called MentorsOnline, and I'd be happy to help with
getting it setup.

Contact me off list for more info.

-Ed

> Hi Don and others,
>
>>  It's a little unclear if this meeting is planning for the event or
>> the event itself,
>
> The invite for planning meetings.
>
>> but at any rate, if the intent is to talk aboot ways to
>> turn kids onto (Linux) technology, I'd highly recommend burning a bunch
>> of
>> copies of Knoppix to hand out to the kiddies, and for those that know
>> they
>> have nVidia based graphics, the super-neato Gentoo Unreal 2003 bootable
>> CD.
>
> We're not to the stages, yet, of giving out CDs. We do need planning on
> how
> to establish events (big and smaller ones) where giving out CDs is a prime
> concern, for sure.
>
>> I'd be happy to provide copies if I know how many are required & if
>> someone
>> can volunteer to label them (I have no such facility).  But there's no
>> way
>> I'd make it by the 16th.  I'm not local, so it would require some time
>> for
>> mail transit.
>>  If this _is_ the planning of the Summit and someone is going, please
>> pass on my offer to provide these hand-outs.
>
> Will do, but I hope the mentions come from others, long-term WPLUGers, as
> well.
>
> Thanks for the kind offer.
>

> Ta.
>

> Mark Rauterkus
> mark at Rauterkus.com  http://Rauterkus.com
> http://CLOH.Org   http://Sunnyhill.org    http://www.Deliberate.com
>
> Pittsburgh Interfaith Impact Network's first 'Public Action' was Feb 20,
> 2003 at Wesley Center A.M.E.-Zion Church. Thanks for lending your power to
> this effort and its Youth & Recreation Task Force. http://dorm.cloh.org

The Ready Room
http://www.smythenet.com/