[wplug] OT Question

Frank W. Holden Jr. frankh at zelie.com
Thu Apr 17 22:02:02 EDT 2003

Hi Bill... NO, they are NOT using radio frequencies allocated to
amateur radio operators, these frequencies are for hams ONLY. There
are many areas of frequecies that they could use though! Look at the
wireless access points. They operate in the 2.4GHz area.

For what I read on the web site, this can be possible, but not
probable! In this case that company could have a license to operate
tranceivers lets say in the 2.6GHz range, as an example. If there were
10 channels available there for them to use, then THEIR licenses can
cover YOU as the consumer. Look at CELL PHONES for that example!!!
They are in the 800MHz band. That band IS for CELL phones ONLY, but
each cellular provider has to be licensed to use that band. You are
covered under their license for usage.

There are frequencies available in the 2.4GHz range that CORDLESS
phones don't use and under a spread spectrum configuration, on the
SAME channels, each person should not interfer with each other. Plus,
the fact that the site tells you that you have to have a dish and that
dish is of this size approxamately for that band. Well, this gives it
away that the frequency range is atleast 2.4GHz and probbly higher!
There is ALOT of frequency spectrum available when you get up in the
10GHz area, but slowly getting eaten up. Then there is a law about the
POWER levels being used at these frequencies. Normally if the power
level is below 10 milliwatts output, then a license is not needed, but
that would have to be researched on a per band basis.

There you have a QUICK and very GENERAL explanation. I could be full
of dog dodo to, but my educated guess should be fairly close to
actual, with a lot more fill info needed. The actual frequencies used
may very well be in the 10-20GHz range, but the principal is the same.
It seems to be nothing more than a light duty, low power,
satellite/cell phone style system they are using.

There you have it in a nut shell Bill. I hope you can understand my
ramblings. If not, contact me off the list and we can discuss it in
more detail.

Take care...
Frank

Bill wrote:

> Since there has been a coming out of ham operators, I thought this a
> relevant question.
>
> When I mentioned trying to find a high-speed provider on list, someone
> sent me a link to www.dashfast.com.  This is a direct quote from an
> explanation of how the service works:
>
> The Dash service uses the license-free radio spectrum allocated by the
> Federal Communications Commission to promote communications and data
> networking services. Our system uses frequency-hopping spread spectrum
> technologies (originally developed for military communications) to
> provide a safe, reliable, interference-resistant connection to the
> Internet.
>
> So if I understand this correctly, this ISP is using ham radio to
> provide connectivity?
>
> If this is correct, how do the operators out there feel about this and
> the effect it could have on their hobby?
>
> And is anyone out there using this?  I am really, really curious to find
> out how well this service works.
>
> -b

"When business interfers with pleasure, give up business!!!"-fwh-

<->     The future of "ALL MANKIND" lies within himself!        <->
<-> Until he figures out who he is, then he can never know me,  <->
<->     and to know me is to know the WORLD... -fwh-            <->
<->                           frankh at zelie.com                  <->
<->                           Some dumb Ham radio operator      <->
Disclaimer:<standard dodo.c>