[wplug] OT Question

Bill bhalpin at collaborativefusion.com
Thu Apr 17 17:12:11 EDT 2003

Since there has been a coming out of ham operators, I thought this a
relevant question.

When I mentioned trying to find a high-speed provider on list, someone
sent me a link to www.dashfast.com.  This is a direct quote from an
explanation of how the service works:

The Dash service uses the license-free radio spectrum allocated by the
Federal Communications Commission to promote communications and data
networking services. Our system uses frequency-hopping spread spectrum
technologies (originally developed for military communications) to
provide a safe, reliable, interference-resistant connection to the
Internet.

So if I understand this correctly, this ISP is using ham radio to
provide connectivity?

If this is correct, how do the operators out there feel about this and
the effect it could have on their hobby?

And is anyone out there using this?  I am really, really curious to find
out how well this service works.

-b