[wplug] Linux Programming Book

Brian Sammon brians+ at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Apr 16 19:03:15 EDT 2003

> Probably not.  Linux kernels seem to change pretty fast.  Author claims the
> application works when compiled on RH71. and RH7.1.  I am using RH8.0.  I
> don't know which kernel came with the earlier revs of RH

For a beginner, I would recommend that you not try to develop modules for
Redhat-packaged kernels.  Redhat has a reputation for adding all sorts of
weird patches to stuff.  I'd recommend you go to www.kernel.org and
download a vanilla kernel that most closely matches what the author used.

I'd also recommend against using a kernel programming book where the
author only deals with Redhat kernels.  I'm not sure if that's the kind of
book you've got.
Hopefully somewhere in the first chapter (or the preface/introduction/forew
ard)
the author will tell you the exact kernel version he used.