[wplug] Linux Programming Book

Brian Sammon brians+ at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Apr 16 18:56:24 EDT 2003

> I found this:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2000/debian-devel-200007/msg01566.html

I think most of what Linus was complaining about hasn't been a problem for
the last year or more.
(At least on redhat), These days, /usr/include/linux and
/usr/include/<whatever>
are what you use to compile applications/programs (user-level stuff), and
/usr/src/linux-<whatever>/include is what you use to compile drivers.
I haven't seen any overlap between these two places for a long while now.
With that old sym-link problem out of the way, it's generally safe to
compile kernels in /usr/src/ .

I also think (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) that there's no major
problem with having /usr/src/linux/ be for a different kernel than what
your currently running.  You may get error messages if it's looking there
for a System.map file, but that's not important.

Just make sure you're getting your header files from the appropriate
places when compiling stuff.